Since its incorporation in 1989 through 2013, the NY Grace LeGendre Endowment Fund Inc (GLEF), has awarded over $138,000 in fellowships to 138 NYS women. Of these, eighty nine were working toward a Master’s and forty nine toward a doctorate. They were enrolled in over forty two diverse fields of graduate study.
Fellowships are awarded annually for graduate study to qualified women. The number and amount of the fellowships vary from year to year. In 2013, four Fellowships of $1500 each were awarded to supplement education costs for the 2013-2014 academic year. The awards were presented at a luncheon at the NYS Women Inc State Conference in June 2013. The four awardees were:
- Rachel Phillips:Doctorate in Physical Therapy, Nazareth College
- Tammra Schiller: Master's in Management/Business, Keuka College
- Stephanie Rojas: Master's in Mental Health Counseling, Fordham University
- Keri Ann Preikschat: Master's in Public Administration, Marist College
In 2014, the GLEF will again award four fellowships, each in the amount of $1500.
Individuals who wish to be considered for a GLEF Fellowship must:
- Be a woman who is a United States citizen and a resident of New York State.
- Have a Bachelor's degree
- Be currently enrolled in graduate studies in an advanced graduate degree program at an accredited New York State college or university.
- Show evidence of scholastic ability and a need for financial assistance.
A copy of the application can be downloaded here in PDF or DOC .
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have the application completed, signed (as required on pp.4 and 5), and postmarked by February 28,2014 and to ensure that all required supplementary materials are postmarked to the Fellowship Chair by the same date as well. Supplemental materials include:
- Most recent official undergraduate and graduate transcripts. These must be sent from the college or university directly to the Fellowship Chair.
- Two (2) current letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your academic performance and/or professional work These are to be sent directly to the Fellowship Chair by the persons you have selected.
- A one-page statement indicating why you believe you should be awarded a fellowship. Indicate your accomplishments, goals, long-range plans, financial need, and plans for use of your graduate education.
Acknowledgement of the receipt of your application and/or subsequent material will be made by e-mail.
Address for application submission
Ramona Gallagher, Chair
NY Grace LeGendre Fellowship Committee
1217 Delaware Ave., Apt.807
Buffalo, NY 14209-1432
- November 2013 – applications will be made available.
- February 28, 2014 – deadline for applications and all supplemental material to be postmarked and sent to the Fellowship Chair.
- March 2014 – applications will be evaluated.
- April 2014 – the decision regarding successful applicants will be made in early April. Recipients of Fellowships will be notified by e-mail followed by an official letter of award.