Since its incorporation in 1989 through 2017, the NY Grace LeGendre Endowment Fund Inc (GLEF), has awarded over $162,000 in fellowships to 150 NYS women. Of these, ninety eight were working toward a Master’s and fifty two toward a doctorate. They were enrolled in fifty diverse fields of graduate study.
Fellowships are awarded annually for graduate study to qualified women. The number and amount of the fellowships vary from year to year. In 2017, three Fellowships of $2000 each were awarded to supplement education costs for the 2017-2018 academic year. These awards were presented at a luncheon at the GLEF Annual Board Meeting in Albany, NY in May 2017. The three awardees were:
- Anna Lina Aagenes, Master of Business Administration, Columbia Business School
- Colette Eustace, Master of Public Administration, Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs
- Nuala Purcell, Master's in Public Media, Fordham University
The GLEF has allocated a total of $6000 for three (3) fellowships of $2000 each to supplement education costs for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Individuals who wish to be considered for a GLEF Fellowship must:
- Be a woman who is a United States citizen and a resident of New York State.
- Have a Bachelor's degree
- Be currently enrolled in graduate studies in an advanced graduate degree program at an accredited New York State college or university and have already completed at least one semester in that program.
- Show evidence of scholastic ability and a need for financial assistance.
- Anticipated graduation year must be no later than 2020.
The 2018 Fellowship Application is currently available from the Fellowship Chair and may also be downloaded here as either a MSWord or a PDF file.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have the application completed, signed where requested, and postmarked by February 28,2018 and to ensure that all required supplementary materials are postmarked to the Fellowship Chair by the same date as well. Among the supplemental materials currently required are the following:
- Most recent official undergraduate and graduate transcripts. These must be sent from the college or university directly to the Fellowship Chair.
- Two (2) current letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your academic performance and/or professional work. These are to be sent directly to the Fellowship Chair by the persons you have selected.
- A one-page statement indicating why you believe you should be awarded a fellowship. Indicate your accomplishments, goals, long-range plans, financial need, and plans for use of your graduate education.
Acknowledgement of the receipt of your application and/or subsequent material will be made by e-mail.
Address for application submission
Ramona Gallagher, Chair
NY Grace LeGendre Fellowship Committee
1217 Delaware Ave., Apt.807
Buffalo, NY 14209-1432
Application timeline - 2018 Fellowships
- Fall 2017 – application form will be made available.
- February 28, 2018 – deadline for applications and all supplemental material to be postmarked and sent to the Fellowship Chair.
- March 2018 – applications will be evaluated.
- April 2018 – the decision regarding successful applicants will be made in early April. Recipients of Fellowships will be notified by e-mail followed by an official letter of award.