Since its incorporation in 1989 through 2020, the NY Grace LeGendre Endowment Fund Inc (GLEF), has awarded over $180,000 in fellowships to 159 NYS women. Of these, one hundred and five were working toward a Master’s and fifty four toward a doctorate. They were enrolled in fifty-three diverse fields of graduate study.
Fellowships are awarded annually for graduate study to qualified women. The number and amount of the fellowships vary from year to year. In 2020, three Fellowships of $2000 each were awarded to supplement education costs for the 2018-2019 academic year. The three awardees are:
- Madeline Collins, Master of Science, Social Work, Columbia University
- Elaina Jean Mansley, Juris Doctor (JD), Brooklyn Law School
- Margarita Valkovskaya, Master of Public Administration, Maxwell School, Syracuse University
The GLEF has allocated $6000 for three Fellowships of $2000 each to supplement education costs for the 2021-22 academic year to be awarded in the Spring of 2021.
Individuals who wish to be considered for a 2021 GLEF Fellowship must:
- Be a woman who is a United States citizen and a resident of New York State.
- Have a Bachelor's degree
- Be currently enrolled in graduate studies in an advanced graduate degree program at an accredited New York State college or university and have already completed at least one semester in that program.
- Show evidence of scholastic ability and a need for financial assistance.
- Anticipated graduation year must be no later than 2024.
Applications for the 2021 Fellowships will be available in Fall 2020 for download here in MSWord and PDF formats.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have the application completed, signed where requested, and postmarked by February 28,2021 and to ensure that all required supplementary materials are postmarked to the Fellowship Chair by the same date as well. Among the supplemental materials currently required are the following:
- Most recent official undergraduate and graduate transcripts. These must be sent from the college or university directly to the Fellowship Chair.
- Two (2) current letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your academic performance and/or professional work. These are to be sent directly to the Fellowship Chair by the persons you have selected.
- A one-page statement indicating why you believe you should be awarded a fellowship. Indicate your accomplishments, goals, long-range plans, financial need, and plans for use of your graduate education.
Acknowledgement of the receipt of your application and/or subsequent material will be made by e-mail.
Address for application submission
Ramona Gallagher, Chair
NY Grace LeGendre Fellowship Committee
1217 Delaware Ave., Apt.807
Buffalo, NY 14209-1432
Email: [email protected]
Application timeline - 2021 Fellowships
- Fall 2020 – application form will be made available.
- February 28, 2021 – deadline for applications and all supplemental material to be postmarked and sent to the Fellowship Chair.
- March 2021 – applications will be evaluated.
- April 2021 – the decision regarding successful applicants will be made in early April. Recipients of Fellowships will be notified by e-mail followed by an official letter of award.