Since its incorporation in 1989 through 2022, the NY Grace LeGendre Endowment Fund Inc (GLEF), has awarded over $192,000 in fellowships to 167 NYS women. Of these, one hundred and eight were working toward a Master’s and fifty five toward a doctorate. They were enrolled in fifty-five diverse fields of graduate study.
Fellowships are awarded annually for graduate study to qualified women. The number and amount of the fellowships vary from year to year. In 2022, a total of $6,000 in Fellowships was awarded to supplement education costs for the 2022-23 academic year. The four awardees were:
- Aylah Loewenstein, Master of Science, Mental Health Counseling, SUNY Oswego
- Checo Rodriguez, Master of Social Work, Columbia University
- Viviana Najera, Master of Social Work, Columbia University
- Kate Meltzer, Master of Social Work, Fordham University
The GLEF has allocated $6500 for four Fellowships (one, $2000 award and three, $1500 awards) to supplement education costs for the 2023-24 academic year. Applications for the 2023 Fellowships are currently being evaluater and the successful candidates will be announced in May 2023.
Individuals who wish to be considered for a 2024 GLEF Fellowship must:
- Be a woman who is a United States citizen and a resident of New York State.
- Have a Bachelor's degree
- Be currently enrolled in graduate studies in an advanced graduate degree program at an accredited New York State college or university and have already completed at least one semester in that program.
- Show evidence of scholastic ability and a need for financial assistance.
- Anticipated graduation year must be no later than 2026.
Applications for the 2024 Fellowships will be available for download here in MSWord and PDF formats.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have the application completed, signed where requested, and postmarked by February 28,2024 and to ensure that all required supplementary materials are postmarked to the Fellowship Chair by the same date as well. Among the supplemental materials currently required are the following:
- Most recent official undergraduate and graduate transcripts. These must be sent from the college or university directly to the Fellowship Chair.
- Two (2) current letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your academic performance and/or professional work. These are to be sent directly to the Fellowship Chair by the persons you have selected.
- A one-page statement indicating why you believe you should be awarded a fellowship. Indicate your accomplishments, goals, long-range plans, financial need, and plans for use of your graduate education.
Acknowledgement of the receipt of your application and/or subsequent material will be made by e-mail.
Address for application submission
Eugenia Barnaba, Chair
NY Grace LeGendre Fellowship Committee
100 Kay Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Application timeline - 2024 Fellowships
- Fall 2023 – application form will be made available.
- February 28, 2024 – deadline for applications and all supplemental material to be postmarked and sent to the Fellowship Chair.
- March 2024 – applications will be evaluated.
- April 2024 – the decision regarding successful applicants will be made in early April. Recipients of Fellowships will be notified by e-mail followed by an official letter of award.